Infection by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori is transmissible and is considered a public health issue which affects people of all ages. This study aims to investigate the prevalence of H. pylori infections among blood donors and to assess the correlation of different lifestyles with H. pylori infections in addition to considering the prevalence of infections among blood Donor in regards to age. This study was conducted at the blood bank at Zawia Hospital, Libya, from the first of March until the end of May 2021. One hundred male donors aged between 22-61years were included in the study. The results showed that 37 persons (37%) were positive for H. pylori, and the remaining 63 (63%) were negative. The highest level of infections was among cases aged (32– 41) with a total of 15 infections (40.54%). It can be concluded that infection with Helicobacter pylori is prevalent in asymptomatic people of Zawia city. The age and blood type did seem to make some individuals more susceptible to infection. A nationwide epidemiological study is warranted to determine the seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori.


download pdf button 11